Saturday, June 6, 2020

Crown Point Model Engineering Flatcars



Recently released from Crown Point is this wonderful kit. This model is a replica of the 30 foot Central Pacific Railroad flatcar. These cars were built by the CPRR during their construction period as they built the western half of the Pacific Transcontinental Railroad in the late 1860s. The CP owned around 2000 of these cars, and built a few for the Virginia and Truckee Railroad. These cars had a rather long service life. Lasting into the Harriman period on the Southern Pacific.


 This is Crown Point's first laser cut kit, as up to this point they have offered only 3D printed models from their Shapeways store. Thus, this is their first time putting a true craftsman style kit out there on the market. Each kit contains two cars, as well as decals to model either the CP or V&T versions of the car. However, the decal set included is for the late 1870s lettering style instead of the construction period lettering.

For my purposes, these cars are to be modified to represent W&A flatcars from the 1850s-70s. Based on the only photo I've been able to find of a W&A flatcar during the reconstruction period. Each kit contains the laser cut sheet, detail parts from Tichy such as nut and bolt castings and a brakewheel, stem, and pall. 

For my cars, I altered the kit slightly to remove the captured ends, change the deck stake-pockets slightly, and I removed/altered the pocket number and pattern. One car I did build to the instructions, while the others received alterations. I found that I could build a car in about four to five hours, and I assembly-lined the final three cars. I also cut apart the laser cut decks into their individual boards. This was a personal taste as I could now stain and weather the car board by board and get a nicer effect. 

For trussrods, the kits came equipped with flat styrene for the flat iron barstock, and brass wire for the wire truss rods. The Tichy hardware was a nice addition, and thankfully the kits provide far more nut/bolt castings then required. As I shot a fair number off into the ether during the kit's construction. Directions were sharp and straightforward. With the packet coming with a set of color drawings for painting, as well as a small history blurb to tell a little about the prototype.


The kit comes less trucks and couplers. I used a set of MDC/Roundhouse archbar trucks on one car, and Tichy archbars on the others. Kadee scale #58 metal couplers and draftgear boxes were installed to finish the build. As built the car should have link and pins, however in my oncoming Railroad Safety Appliance Act railroad, MCB couplers and draft gear were becoming common.   

Overall, this was a nice product and a welcome addition to those of us who model railroading in the 19th century. I hope to see more from Crown Point and I really am looking forward to their next line of rolling-stock products. 

If interested, Josh Bernhard has done a wonderful review of the model on YouTube: 




These cars are limited in offering, and as of this writing, I do not believe a second run of these cars has been done. However, If interested in picking up a few of these cars yourself, hit up Crown Point Model Engineering as they may have some still in stock. Otherwise, check out their other offerings. (Please note I am not associated with this company; links are provided for modeler's convenience and not sponsored.)

No comments:

Post a Comment